When it comes to satisfying your sweet tooth, few treats can rival the delightful taste and aroma of a freshly baked donut. These delicious pastries are loved by people of all ages and for good reason. Whether you enjoy them glazed, dusted, or filled with jam, there’s something magical about biting into a warm, soft doughnut. However, if you’re out of yeast and baking powder or just want to try a healthier alternative, you’re in the right place. We’ll guide you through the art of making mouth-watering donuts without this traditional leavening agent.
Ingredients you will need
To make yeast- and baking powder-free donuts that are just as delicious as their traditional counterparts, you’ll need the following ingredients:
1. All-purpose flour
Start with 2 cups of all-purpose flour. This will serve as the base for your donut dough. Sifting the flour to remove any lumps is essential to ensure your donuts are light and fluffy.
You will need 1/2 cup of milk. You can use any milk you like, whether it’s whole milk, skim milk, or a plant-based alternative like almond milk.
You will need 1/4 cup of sugar to sweeten your donuts. Depending on how sweet you want your donuts to be, you can adjust the amount of sugar to your liking.
Add 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Make sure it is at room temperature so that it combines easily with the flour.
A large egg will help bind the ingredients together and give your donuts a nice texture.
A pinch of salt will enhance the flavor of your donut. Use about 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
7. Vanilla extract
For a pleasant aroma and flavor, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to your dough.
8. Cooking oil
You will need some cooking oil to fry your donuts. Select a cooking oil known for its high smoke point, such as vegetable or canola oil.
Now, let’s walk you through the process of making these yeast- and baking powder-free donuts:
Step 1: Mix the dry ingredients
- Begin by sifting all-purpose flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, salt, and a pinch of love, if you like. Mix the dry ingredients together, making sure they are well combined.
Step 2: Preparing the wet ingredients
- In a separate bowl, combine room-temperature butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract. Blend them until a smooth, creamy mixture is formed.
Step 3: Bringing Everything Together
- Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients while stirring constantly. Continue stirring until a soft and slightly sticky dough comes together.
- If the dough is too sticky, you can add a little more flour. Conversely, if it is too dry, add a touch more milk. The goal is to have a dough that you can easily work with.
Step 4: Rolling and Cutting
- Flour your work surface and roll the dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Use a circular cutter or a glass rim to cut your donuts You can also use a small cutter for the donut holes.
- Re-roll any remaining dough and continue cutting until all is used up.
Step 5: Fry the donuts
- Heat your cooking oil in a deep pan or pot to 350°F (175°C).
- Gently place your donuts into the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until they turn a nice golden brown.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the donuts from the oil and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Step 6: Glazing and Enjoying
- While your donuts are still warm, you can glaze them with your favorite icing or dust them with powdered sugar.
- Let them cool for a moment, and then dive into the joy of homemade, yeast- and baking powder-free donuts.
Tips for the perfect donut
- To make your donuts extra special, consider adding a touch of nutmeg or cinnamon to your dough for extra flavor.
- Experiment with different glazes and toppings such as chocolate, maple, or a classic sugar glaze.
- Serve your donuts with a hot cup of coffee, milk, or your favorite beverage for the ultimate indulgence.
Now, you have a perfect recipe for making delightful donuts without yeast and baking powder. With these simple steps and a bit of creativity, you can enjoy these delectable dishes anytime. Happy baking!